The Role of the Kosher Contact Person
Understand how your company’s kosher liaison works with the OK Kosher Rabbinic Coordinator and Account Representative.
Haven’t gotten kosher certified yet? Start here.
Who is the Kosher Contact Person?
The Kosher Contact Person is part-and-parcel of your company’s kosher certification program. At the outset, you’ll establish a main point-of-contact from within your company to handle all kosher-related coordination. Though the Plant Manual details all of the technical aspects of the program, this person will be responsible for ensuring plant personnel are aligned with the requirements, and communicate with our reps on a regular basis.
Who Should You Appoint as a Kosher Contact?
There are several factors to consider when determining who within your company should take on this role.
The person chosen for this role should be:
- An employee of the certified company;
- In a position of responsibility in relation to Regulatory and / or Quality;
- Able to implement and maintain kosher requirements as detailed in the Kosher Rules, or Facility Statutes for each manufacturing site;
- Able to submit data and documentation quickly and efficiently.
What is the Kosher Contact Person responsible for?
They’ll liaise with the account rep and Rabbinic Coordinator on all certification matters, including:
- Submitting new product, ingredient and vendor info, as well as reformulations and name changes via our online portal.
- Label submission for all approved products, ensuring proper use of the trademarked OK Kosher logo.
- Answering any questions regarding submitted information
- Managing correct symbol restrictions (i.e. Pareve, Dairy, Passover, etc.) to match kosher certificates.
- Implementing the addition of new manufacturing or co-pack facilities to the existing company contract.
- Notifying us whenever production moves between approved facilities.
- Arranging visits to the manufacturing sites, and fielding any follow-up questions.
- Issue payments in a timely manner.
- Initiating PLAs for any private label customers who wish to use the trademarked OK Kosher logo on their products.
- Annual renewal process, including updating expired ingredient certificates and payment of any outstanding invoices.
- Coordinating with receiving personnel to ensure that only approved ingredients are brought into the facility, as listed on the approved Raw Materials list, and that they comply with the Guide for Receiving Kosher Ingredients.
- Notifying us of any personnel changes relating to the kosher program.
- Seeing to it that the company’s kosher certification is well publicized. This includes posting the OK Kosher logo on the company website, social media and other marketing materials. This is key in marketing your kosher certification!
Visual learners on your team? Check out Kosher 101 Slideshow Decks for all the basics you need now.
Does the Kosher Contact Person Need Special Training?
The guidelines above reflect the needs of the most companies we certify. For companies with many, multiple manufacturing facilities or divisions, we recognize that more than one kosher contact may be involved. Special training is available for these situations, or for any of our customers who need specific guidance. Trainings are free of charge and completely customized per company and facility. If this interests you for your team, please reach out to your OK Kosher Account Rep for more details.
And if you haven’t yet…
Apply for OK Kosher Certification today.